Maida Vale robbery: Five men detained after moped raid on jewellers’
- Credit: Archant
Five men were arrested after a “terrfying” moped raid on a north Maida Vale jewellers yesterday evening.
The men were clad in black and carrying a combination of knives, hammers and crowbars.
Police were called to the 245 Maida Vale, premises shortly after 5.10pm.
Brave passers-by were able to stop one man fleeing the scene, before police apprehended four others in near Camden Market and in Fairfax Road, South Hampstead.
All five have been arrested on suspicion of robbery but have yet to be charged.
You may also want to watch:
Staff in neighbouring shops witnessed the ordeal.
One woman, who gave her name as Claudette, was working in the neighbouring NWL Properties estate agent.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
Claudette told this newpaper: "We saw them coming up to the door like everyone did, nobody was hurt in body but I worry about the distress to everyone. It's was very scary and traumatic
"I spoke to the owner of the jewellers this morning, he seemed alright but down. He said he ran downstairs during the robbery, but that's all."
Did you see the incident in Maida Vale yesterday, or were you one of the people who helped catch one of the fleeing moped riders? Contact Sam on the newsdesk on 02074330120 or Sam.Volpe@Archant.co.uk