Maida Vale robbery: Five men detained after moped raid on jewellers’
- Credit: Archant
Five men were arrested after a “terrfying” moped raid on a north Maida Vale jewellers yesterday evening.
The men were clad in black and carrying a combination of knives, hammers and crowbars.
Police were called to the 245 Maida Vale, premises shortly after 5.10pm.
Brave passers-by were able to stop one man fleeing the scene, before police apprehended four others in near Camden Market and in Fairfax Road, South Hampstead.
All five have been arrested on suspicion of robbery but have yet to be charged.
You may also want to watch:
Staff in neighbouring shops witnessed the ordeal.
One woman, who gave her name as Claudette, was working in the neighbouring NWL Properties estate agent.
- 1 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 2 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 3 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 4 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 5 Tottenham Women seal extra time win over Sheffield United
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 8 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives
- 9 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
Claudette told this newpaper: "We saw them coming up to the door like everyone did, nobody was hurt in body but I worry about the distress to everyone. It's was very scary and traumatic
"I spoke to the owner of the jewellers this morning, he seemed alright but down. He said he ran downstairs during the robbery, but that's all."
Did you see the incident in Maida Vale yesterday, or were you one of the people who helped catch one of the fleeing moped riders? Contact Sam on the newsdesk on 02074330120 or Sam.Volpe@Archant.co.uk