Man charged with murder of Sir David Amess MP
- Credit: PA
A man has been charged with the terrorism-related murder of MP Sir David Amess.
The Conservative MP for Southend West was fatally stabbed on Friday during a constituency surgery in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex.
Ali Harbi Ali, 25, has been charged with murder and preparing acts of terrorism. He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Thursday afternoon.
Nick Price, of the CPS, said: “We will submit to the court that this murder has a terrorist connection, namely that it had both religious and ideological motivations.”
On Monday, Parliament paid tribute to Sir David as it was announced that Southend would be granted city status, in recognition of his decades-long campaign for the seaside town to be given the honour.
Matt Jukes, Assistant Commissioner for Specialist Operations at Scotland Yard, said: “Today’s charge is a significant milestone in the case, but the work from my colleagues in the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command will continue apace.”
It is understood searches were carried out by police at London properties as part of their investigation including in Camden, Haringey and Croydon.
- 1 Covid-19: How Hampstead and Highgate's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 2 Alexandra Palace chief executive to leave in 2022
- 3 Susan Jones obituary: A 'humble' Muswell Hill shop owner of 40 years
- 4 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 5 Highgate Hill housing plans spark fears over new pub's future
- 6 Murder thriller shot in West Hampstead gets its premiere 10 years late
- 7 Hampstead rabbi pays tribute to nephew, victim of Jerusalem terror attack
- 8 Haringey Council SEND failures: 'Some parents are on antidepressants'
- 9 'Someone is responsible for council spending £23m on office block'
- 10 Artist with autism exhibits vibrant London scenes at Lido Cafe
Additional reporting by PA Media.