‘Rambo’ hunting knife found in Somers Town during weapons sweep
- Credit: Met Police
A replica knife from the film Rambo First Blood Part 2 has been found outside a Camden secondary school during a knife sweep by the Met.
The blade was found by Somers Town ward police last week outside the perimeter fencing of Maria Fidelis School in Phoenix Road. The weapons sweeps form part of Operation Sceptre, which aims to cut knife crime across London.
The knife has a 21cm (8.5in) blade and is manufactured by Anglo Arms as a “hunting and survival knife.” It has the film’s name printed on the base of the blade.
The school is less than a mile from Harrington Square, where Mohamed Aadam was stabbed to death in Hampstead Road in September last year.
Ins Paul Clarke said: “This is why we conduct weapons sweeps. Knives like this one tend to be found around schools on a monthly basis. We particularly look in areas where we know gangs are operating.”
You may also want to watch:
He also said the Met’s anti-knife crime strategy in schools was working. “We now have a far more holistic approach around youth violence, where we’re working with other agencies, such as councils.
“We have a dedicated named officer inside each senior school and pupil referral unit in Camden and Islington. There has been a reduction in crime in our senior schools relative to the rest of the country. Our dedicated safer schools officers work to protect children from child sexual exploitation, violence and ‘stranger danger.’ This is a long term fix and we want to get it right.”
- 1 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 5 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 6 Protests over Highgate housing plan but council moves to reassure locals
- 7 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 8 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 'That's life': Tao Geoghegan Hart on his debut Tour de France
- 10 Hundreds raised for St John’s Wood shop wrecked by flooding