Kentish Town brothers charged with Camden murder to be tried
PUBLISHED: 07:00 01 March 2012
A football fan was stabbed to death in a Camden Town nightspot on the eve of the Carling Cup final.
Liverpool FC supporter Alex Jarmay, who was described by neighbours as a “lovely young man”, had been out on Saturday night on the eve of the Carling Cup final at Wembley Stadium on Sunday.
The 26-year-old was at Bar Uno in Inverness Street when he was knifed in the chest and neck before collapsing in the street just before midnight.
Police said the former Wirral Grammar School boy and friends were not wearing any football team colours.
Nick Clay, who was staying with friends in nearby Camden High Street, was awoken by screams from the street.
The 62-year-old said: “There was someone there just beside themselves with anger.
“It sounded like someone who was very, very angry and he was thrashing about.
“When I was looking down he was being held by at least half a dozen people shouting: ‘Don’t tell me he is going, he can’t have gone’.
“We could not see the guy on the floor, but at one point the paramedics got a stretcher and took away what must have been the body under a canvas.”
Witnesses said paramedics fought to save the football fan for 45 minutes but he bled to death at the scene.
A post-mortem examination revealed that Mr Jarmay, from Bromborough in Merseyside, died from a stab wound to the chest.
Mother-of-three Bukrije Neziri, who lives in Inverness Street, said: “It’s so sad for his family.
“It’s just so sad for a man to die that young and to die like this in the street is awful.”
Police erected a tent in Inverness Street, which is usually home to a busy street market.
The area remained cordoned off on Sunday as forensics officers worked at the scene.
Two brothers from Kentish Town appeared at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Wednesday) charged with Mr Jarmay’s murder.
Damian Beck, 23, and Paul Beck, 28, both of Spring Place, spoke only to confirm their names, ages and addresses.
Both men were sent to the Old Bailey for trial where they are due to enter their pleas on Friday.
A 17-year-old boy and a 25-year-old man, who were arrested after the stabbing, have been bailed and are set to return to a north London police station next month.