Jailed West Hampstead mum Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe told to expect propaganda conviction
PUBLISHED: 10:33 21 May 2018 | UPDATED: 10:33 21 May 2018
Jailed West Hampstead mum Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has been told to expect to be convicted of new charges by an Iranian court.
The new charge of “spreading propaganda against the regime” was confirmed by Judge Salavati on Saturday morning.
The jailed mum briefly saw the 200-page file against her, which included press coverage of her detention, Parliamentary statements, and activities of the Free Nazanin campaign.
Judge Salvati told her to expect to be convicted. He also rejected her choice of lawyer.
During the hearing she also requested a temporary release, known as a furlough, for Gabriella’s birthday next month.
Gabriella has written a letter to the court asking for her mother to join her for her fourth birthday.
The Judge told the Revolutionary Court that he would treat her request “on a priority basis.
After the hearing, she was allowed to phone the new British Ambassador, Robert Macaire.
This is the first time she has been able to speak to the Embassy in two years.
During their conversation, she asked hím to visit, and to issue a diplomatic notice protesting against the charges.
Speaking after the hearing, Nazanin said:
“Going back to the Revolutionary Court gives me such a fit. I don’t want to go there again. You have no idea what it is like. I didn’t have a panic attack this time, but still it is so hard.”
“I was happy when they mentioned furlough, as I thought – if only they send me out for Gabriella’s birthday, that would be so awesome. Like a dream. She would be so pleased.”
“It looks like a definite new sentence – which is nonsense – but it is not clear what is going on. It looks like they are just buying time. Legally they must me release on parole if the Head of Prison had already approved it. By opening a new case they don’t have to.”