Search

IT worker died after taking ecstasy in KOKO nightclub in Camden

PUBLISHED: 18:22 13 March 2012

Koko nightclub in Camden

Koko nightclub in Camden

Archant

A man died just four months after moving to London after taking a gram of ecstasy on a night out with friends at KOKO nightclub in Camden Town.

Mario Del Duca, 28, was on his way to a Club NME night at the Camden High Street venue when he and his housemates bought three grams of ecstasy from a drug dealer, St Pancras Coroner’s Court heard.

Shortly after arriving at the venue at 1am on Saturday, December 17, Mr Del Duca emptied an entire gram of MDMA, the active ingredient in ecstasy, into his drink.

Within half an hour the 28-year-old began feeling ill, shaking and sweating profusely.

Concerned for his welfare, his friends took the IT worker to the club’s first aid room and he was then taken to the Royal Free Hospital in Pond Street, Hampstead, at around 3.30am.

Doctors tried to cool him down with ice and a fan, and treated him for an hour and a half.

But Mr Del Duca’s condition deteriorated and he went into cardiac arrest shortly after 5am and died.

Mr Del Duca, of High Street, Willesden, grew up in Naples, Italy, and moved to England in August 2011 to find a job in the IT industry.

His family flew to the UK to collect his body, but did not attend the inquest on Tuesday (March 13).


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express