Edgware Road shisha café loses licence over ‘head-butt’

PUBLISHED: 17:00 14 January 2012

The shisha cafe had a history of problems

The shisha cafe had a history of problems


An Edgware Road shisha café has had its alcohol licence revoked after a member of staff allegedly head-butted a customer.

The incident at Room One café on December 3 left a man with a serious head injury and cuts above his eye which required several stitches.

Police say evidence shows a member of staff head-butted the victim when he attempted to leave the premises to smoke a cigarette.

It is alleged four other members of staff then further assaulted the victim.

Police say the man was invited to leave by the rear exit where a taxi was waiting.

But officers say the victim was then locked out of the premises and left to make his own way to hospital, where police were called.

A Westminster Council licensing committee initially suspended the licence before fully revoking it last Friday.

A report to the committee stated the café had a history of violence, disorder and non-compliance at the premises.

In May 2010 customers also suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and were taken to hospital after smoking shishas inside the premises.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express