Camden murders trial: Defendant extradited from France ‘part of group’ who killed Sadiq Mohammed while another faces retrial over Abdikarim Hassan killing
PUBLISHED: 16:32 16 January 2020 | UPDATED: 16:32 16 January 2020
A teenager is on trial for the murder of Kentish Town man Sadiq Mohammed in Chalk Farm two years ago after being extradited from France.
Tottenham man Godwin Lunghy, 19, is charged with the murder of Mr Mohammed in Malden Road in February 2018, and with violent disorder relating to an incident on the same night in Hackney.
In the same trial, Anuoluwa Temenu, 20, from the Colville Estate in Hackney, is accused of murdering 18-year-old Abdikarim Hassan in Bartholomew Road, Kentish Town, on the same night.
Temenu is also facing charges of wounding with intent and attempted wounding with intent relating to an attack on two men in Somers Town that night.
The night of violence has already seen two other men convicted in relation to the killings, following a trial in March last year.
Prosecutor Julian Evans said Lunghy, also known as "Gambino", had not been part of the previous trial as he fled to France, where he was later arrested.
The prosecution argues CCTV footage of Lunghy wearing a distinctive "white scarf or face covering" places him at the scene of Mr Mohammed's murder. The defendant accepts being caught on CCTV wearing such a garment earlier that night, but denies being present later in the evening.
Mr Evans said Lunghy "was one of four" who chased Mr Mohammed along Maldon Road, along with another man, Suleiman Mohamud, who took refuge in a shop.
He said Mr Mohammed tried to flee by getting into a parked car and telling the two women inside to "drive". The women thought they were being robbed and fled.
He said a group of four "converged on the car", adding: "Although he tried to keep the door shut, Sadiq Mohammed was dragged out."
He was then "stabbed repeatedly all over his body", before the group, he said, drove off in the van.
Between the two fatal stabbings, Lunghy is alleged to have been part of a group in the blue van who set a number of other young men in Pembury Circus, Hackney.
Both Temenu, Lunghy and a number of those to have also stood trial over the events of February 20 2018 have claimed to have been attending a vigil for murdered former Acland Burghley pupil Lewis Blackman, who had been fatally stabbed at a house party in Earl's Court just days earlier.
Of Temenu, Mr Evans said: "It's the prosecution case that he, along with others, was involved in the first two of five incidents that occurred that night.
You may also want to watch:
"Outside a block of flats two young men were chased then attacked by two armed men. And the second incident which took place less than ten minutes later.
"That incident resulted in a young man being murdered. His name was Abdikarim Hassan. He was 18 years old when he was murdered. He was stabbed a number of times to the body and he died of a deep stab wound to his chest.
"The prosecution case that Temenu is a candidate for one of the two attackers who physically took part in these attacks and who wielded a knife."
Mr Evans said if it was found Temenu did not physically carry out the attacks, the prosecution at least believed he was present in the stolen silver BMW used and "he encouraged the attack".
Mr Evans said Temenu, also known as "Skelli", claimed at a previous trial not to have been in the car which carried the alleged offenders to the sites of the attack on two boys in Somers Town and the alleged murder of Mr Hassan on the edge of the Peckwater Estate. The 20-year-old, the prosecution accept, was dropped off near to his Hackney home before the disorder in Pembury Circus or Sadid Mohammed's murder.
The jury in that trial was unable to reach a verdict about his involvement.
The trial continues.
March 2019 trial
After reporting restrictions were partially lifted, this paper is now able to report that at a March 2019 trial, two men were convicted over the events of February 20.
Isaiah Popoola, 20, of Grafton Way, was convicted of the manslaughter of Mr Hassan, the murder of Mr Mohammed, violent disorder and unlawful wounding.
Ben Drummond, 20, of Ingestre Road was convicted of the murder of Mr Mohammed and violent disorder.
Queen's Crescent man Christian Thomas, 20, was acquitted of the murder of Mr Hassan,
JJ Fatuga, 20, was acquitted of the murder of Kentish Town man Mr Mohammed.
Ryan Leurs, 18, of Maitland Park Villas in Belsize Park, was acquitted of violent disorder and Eddie Igilima, 18, of Croftdown Road was cleared of assisting an offender.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.