Creamy explanation for Hleb's mysterious exit from Arsenal hotel
ALEXANDER Hleb did not hold talks with Internazionale earlier this month – instead he merely went for ice cream , according to people close to his agent, writes Jem Maidment. Speculation that the reigning Serie A champions are after the Belarus internati
ALEXANDER Hleb did not hold talks with Internazionale earlier this month - instead he merely went "for ice cream", according to people close to his agent, writes Jem Maidment.
Speculation that the reigning Serie A champions are after the Belarus international resurfaced this week with reports in both Italy and the UK claiming they have "tapped up" the Gunners midfielder.
An associate of Hleb's agent, Italian Claudio Vigorelli, did admit he and the player left the Arsenal team hotel and shared a taxi into Milan the night before this month's 2-0 Champions League win at AC Milan - but stressed reports they travelled to Inter's club offices in the city are wide of the mark.
Inter have been long-term suitors for Hleb, who moved to Highbury in the summer of 2005.
You may also want to watch:
But Arsene Wenger has grown increasingly angry at the speculation and is believed to be weighing up whether to make an official complaint to Uefa over Inter's alleged actions.
Vincenzo Morabito - who has dealings with Inter - was quoted as saying: "It's true that Hleb saw Vigorelli and they went out from the Melia Felix [hotel] but it's not true that they went to talk to Inter.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 3 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 4 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 7 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 8 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 9 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 10 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
"They went for an ice-cream. We are sorry that Mr Wenger took it badly and complained because we have a good relationship with him."
Hleb, who went on to put in a magnificent performance against AC Milan the following evening, has "history" in tapping-up allegations.
In early 2006, less than a year into his stay at Arsenal, he admitted he was unhappy and considering a move back to Germany, where he had starred for Bundesliga outfit VfB Stuttgart.
He even met with Hamburg director Michael Schroeder at a central London restaurant but Wenger was satisfied there was nothing untoward as his youger brother Vyacheslav used to play for the Baltic side.
Hleb's current contract runs out in the summer of 2009.
l Chelsea preview on page 46