Crack addict brothers guilty of violent robberies
PUBLISHED: 16:32 24 June 2009 | UPDATED: 16:16 07 September 2010
TWO crack addict brothers have been convicted of a string of terrifying strangulation robberies on vulnerable lone women in affluent parts of north London. Between them, Matthew Mykoo, 27 and his brother Daniel, 28, were guilty of 20 robberies including t
TWO crack addict brothers have been convicted of a string of terrifying strangulation robberies on vulnerable lone women in affluent parts of north London.
Between them, Matthew Mykoo, 27 and his brother Daniel, 28, were guilty of 20 robberies including that of Hampstead Fashion mogul Nicole Farhi, a BBC reporter from Belsize Park and a PA from Quintin Kynaston school in St John's Wood.
The pair targeted women for their high value jewellery and would strike where the victims thought they were most safe- either outside their front door or at their work place.
The brothers used the same modus operandi in each case with Daniel running up behind the victim and strangling them while Matthew ripped off the jewellery.
Many victims including Ms Farhi lost consciousness and the court heard how many believed they were going to be killed.
Judge Nicholas Browne, at Wood Green Crown Court, told the brothers to expect to spend years behind bars.
He said: "I warn you in very clear terms that an indeterminate sentence for public protection is virtually inevitable bearing in mind the number of victims and the fact that these robberies were of the most serious type I have ever encountered.
"The sentence which I impose on you will be measured in many years - I don't rule out a life sentence."
At Wood Green Crown on Wednesday a jury found Matthew, of Windsor Road, Brent, guilty of seven strangulation robberies but he was cleared of eight offences. He had already pleaded guilty to two other robberies. Daniel, of Fulham Court, had earlier pleaded guilty to 19 robberies and two motor vehicle offences.
All the attacks took place from March 13, 2008 when Laura Holt, a PA at Quintin Kynaston school, was robbed as she walked into school to June 20, 2008.
Their loot, which included earrings and diamond rings worth thousands of pounds and Rolex watches, would then be pawned off for cash.
When police raided their homes they found a number of items and pawn receipts and were able to recover some jewellery, including a wedding ring.
John Carmichael, for the prosecution, said: "They almost always preyed upon women, women alone, most of whom were either wealthy or at least had the appearance of some wealth.
"These victims, having been targeted and followed, were attacked in a manner which has such a coincidence of method to mark them out as a team - a strangler-robber team."
Det Con Reg Pickering of Barnet CID told the Ham&High: "If these offences had continued there was the terrible fear that one victim would eventually be killed. Throughout this case they have shown no remorse towards their victims and had no regard for them what so ever."
He added: "I am extremely pleased that we were able to recover some particularly sentimental items of jewellery to their rightful owners."
Among Daniel's victims were a Sangeeta Mhaiskar from Belsize Park and Susan Kaye from Hampstead Garden Suburb. A pregnant woman was also robbed.
During the trial several of the victims took to the stand to recount their ordeals, including Nicole Farhi.
She had returned from visiting friends in Highgate when Daniel Mykoo attacked.
She said: "She said: He squeezed and I fainted. I fell on top of him and I remember my last thought before I fell was 'how stupid to die in front of my house'."
When she came round her arms were being held and her diamond ring worth £8,000 and a Rolex watch which had belonged to her father, was stripped from her.
The robbery of Laura Holt was also captured on CCTV. The jury were shown the chilling images.
The pair are due to be sentenced on July 23.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.