‘It’s tongue in cheek’: Highgate pub buys £30 wired phones to keep lockdown pints alive
- Credit: Archant
A pub owner has hailed the local support of Highgate - after devising a “tongue in cheek” ordering system to keep the pints flowing over the Covid lockdown.
Heath Ball, who has run The Red Lion and Sun since 2007, bought two intercom phones for £30 so that customers can call and put their orders in as they pass the pub in North Road.
Drinkers ring from the front entrance of the boozer and their call is received a matter of metres away from its outdoor bar.
Government rules state drinks from pubs can only be pre-ordered, for instance over the phone, but it does not state where these calls must be made, so Heath’s innovative system appears to fit the bill.
“It’s all tongue in cheek,” the pub owner told the Ham&High. “People laugh at the phones, they have fun and it just highlights how ridiculous this all is.
You may also want to watch:
“Especially when you can hear customers on the phone down the driveway pacing their orders, and we’re then answering the phone saying: ‘Was that a mulled wine you wanted?’
“I don’t ring the supermarket to go and order a beer but if I want to go and support my local pub I’ve got to ring ahead and order drinks. Come on, really? It’s stupid.”
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Golders Green care home staff set for strike action
Heath criticised the government for not doing more to support pubs through the pandemic.
As for the Highgate community, however, he was full of praise for helping keep it alive during the enforced closures of March and earlier this month.
“Highgate has really, really supported us and it’s really great,” Heath said. “Theres a real community atmosphere behind this all.
“We’re just a local pub. I own it, I’ve got a family to suppoort, my kids go to the local schools, and everyone’s rallying behind us which is great because they want to see us get through this.”
Under the new tiered Covid restrictions which will come into effect on December 2, pubs will be able to reopen unless placed in tier 3.
The Red Lion and Sun is open for takeaway and delivery drinks from Tuesday to Thursday 4pm-9pm, and Friday to Sunday 12pm-9pm.