‘It’s tongue in cheek’: Highgate pub buys £30 wired phones to keep lockdown pints alive
- Credit: Archant
A pub owner has hailed the local support of Highgate - after devising a “tongue in cheek” ordering system to keep the pints flowing over the Covid lockdown.
Heath Ball, who has run The Red Lion and Sun since 2007, bought two intercom phones for £30 so that customers can call and put their orders in as they pass the pub in North Road.
Drinkers ring from the front entrance of the boozer and their call is received a matter of metres away from its outdoor bar.
Government rules state drinks from pubs can only be pre-ordered, for instance over the phone, but it does not state where these calls must be made, so Heath’s innovative system appears to fit the bill.
“It’s all tongue in cheek,” the pub owner told the Ham&High. “People laugh at the phones, they have fun and it just highlights how ridiculous this all is.
You may also want to watch:
“Especially when you can hear customers on the phone down the driveway pacing their orders, and we’re then answering the phone saying: ‘Was that a mulled wine you wanted?’
“I don’t ring the supermarket to go and order a beer but if I want to go and support my local pub I’ve got to ring ahead and order drinks. Come on, really? It’s stupid.”
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 3 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 4 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 5 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 6 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
Heath criticised the government for not doing more to support pubs through the pandemic.
As for the Highgate community, however, he was full of praise for helping keep it alive during the enforced closures of March and earlier this month.
“Highgate has really, really supported us and it’s really great,” Heath said. “Theres a real community atmosphere behind this all.
“We’re just a local pub. I own it, I’ve got a family to suppoort, my kids go to the local schools, and everyone’s rallying behind us which is great because they want to see us get through this.”
Under the new tiered Covid restrictions which will come into effect on December 2, pubs will be able to reopen unless placed in tier 3.
The Red Lion and Sun is open for takeaway and delivery drinks from Tuesday to Thursday 4pm-9pm, and Friday to Sunday 12pm-9pm.