Councillor reels in two mackerel on Whitestone Pond
BELSIZE councillor Jonny Bucknell and his son reeled in two mackerel on Whitestone Pond this morning.
Reports of mackerel from north America reaching the Hampstead pond after a bored pet owner released them into the shallow waters prompted Cllr Bucknell and his son Tristen to launch their rubber dinghy into the waters.
They had read reports of the fish breeding in the pond in a well-known fishing magazine and decided to give it a try.
Expert angler Dean Rickman said: “Although the pond is shallow, the warmth of the water creates an ideal environment for north American mackerel but I am surprised that they have been breeding so well.
“I have never fished in Whitestone before but I plan to give it a bash soon.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Bucknell said: “We had a great time. It was a lot of fun and Tristen really enjoyed it. We launched the dinghy out onto the water and cast the lines and reeled in two fish within the hour.”
This is the first time fish have ever been caught in the pond, which was traditionally used as a stop off for horses to have a drink.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 8 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 9 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 10 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease