Councillor reels in two mackerel on Whitestone Pond
BELSIZE councillor Jonny Bucknell and his son reeled in two mackerel on Whitestone Pond this morning.
Reports of mackerel from north America reaching the Hampstead pond after a bored pet owner released them into the shallow waters prompted Cllr Bucknell and his son Tristen to launch their rubber dinghy into the waters.
They had read reports of the fish breeding in the pond in a well-known fishing magazine and decided to give it a try.
Expert angler Dean Rickman said: “Although the pond is shallow, the warmth of the water creates an ideal environment for north American mackerel but I am surprised that they have been breeding so well.
“I have never fished in Whitestone before but I plan to give it a bash soon.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Bucknell said: “We had a great time. It was a lot of fun and Tristen really enjoyed it. We launched the dinghy out onto the water and cast the lines and reeled in two fish within the hour.”
This is the first time fish have ever been caught in the pond, which was traditionally used as a stop off for horses to have a drink.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike