Councillor reels in two mackerel on Whitestone Pond
BELSIZE councillor Jonny Bucknell and his son reeled in two mackerel on Whitestone Pond this morning.
Reports of mackerel from north America reaching the Hampstead pond after a bored pet owner released them into the shallow waters prompted Cllr Bucknell and his son Tristen to launch their rubber dinghy into the waters.
They had read reports of the fish breeding in the pond in a well-known fishing magazine and decided to give it a try.
Expert angler Dean Rickman said: “Although the pond is shallow, the warmth of the water creates an ideal environment for north American mackerel but I am surprised that they have been breeding so well.
“I have never fished in Whitestone before but I plan to give it a bash soon.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Bucknell said: “We had a great time. It was a lot of fun and Tristen really enjoyed it. We launched the dinghy out onto the water and cast the lines and reeled in two fish within the hour.”
This is the first time fish have ever been caught in the pond, which was traditionally used as a stop off for horses to have a drink.
- 1 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 4 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 5 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 'I want to make a difference': new leader for Haringey Council
- 8 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 9 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins