Councillor calls for CCTV to make Highgate streets safer following moped mounted smash and grab
- Credit: Archant
Highgate’s Liberal Democrat councillor Liz Morris responds to the recent attack on Gail’s bakery.
I was horrified to learn of the moped attack at Gail’s on Highgate High Street on Monday.
The Highgate Liberal Democrats are so concerned about the increase in moped crime in Highgate, which is becoming increasingly violent, that I have called an urgent meeting with the Camden and Highgate Safer Neighbourhood Teams to discuss what can be done to stop these crimes.
Residents are also calling for a public meeting in Highgate about crime and safety, so I will also be taking this up with the Camden and Haringey police teams too.
Following the attack on Gail’s I have been contacted by many concerned parents in Highgate, worried about the safety of their children who are obvious targets for moped crime.
You may also want to watch:
I will be asking the police teams to visit all the schools in Highgate to talk to pupils about personal safety and what measures schools can take to increase safety in and around their premises.
I also think we should work with the local police to create a Schools Safety Forum in Highgate so that the schools can work together in a joined-up way to ensure that the thousands of children who attend the schools here are safe.
- 1 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 2 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 6 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 7 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 8 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 9 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 10 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
Furthermore, the Highgate Lib Dems will be campaigning for CCTV cameras in Highgate.
Our Highgate Safer Neighbourhood Team tell me that Highgate is the only ward in all of Haringey without CCTV cameras.
If this is the case it is a disgrace that Highgate does not have the same security measures as other parts of Haringey and I will be taking this up with Haringey’s Labour Cabinet.
The Liberal Democrats will continue to campaign for measures to make our streets safer and will be fighting the Labour Mayor of London’s plans to close police stations and counters in our borough.