Council is leaking vital funds with its real nappies subsidy
At the last meeting of the North London Waste Authority held on February 6, Liberal Democrat and Labour Councillors voted to reintroduce subsidies for real nappies. I would like to make my position clear on the subject of real nappies, I support their us
At the last meeting of the North London Waste Authority held on February 6, Liberal Democrat and Labour Councillors voted to reintroduce subsidies for real nappies.
I would like to make my position clear on the subject of real nappies, I support their use! The point that I am making is that there must be a better way of dealing with the nappy subsidy, and I have asked officers of the NLWA to look at coming up with an alternative proposal.
Camden has, up until December of 2007, recorded 276 applicants for the nappy subsidy which brings Camden's share of the cost to a staggering £24,000, or an equally staggering equivalent of £315 per tonne when the standard cost of waste disposal by conventional methods is £55 per tonne. These figures include £8,750 costs of belonging to the Real Nappies for London scheme for outreach and admin costs.
We as councillors have a responsibility to our council taxpayers and Camden's policy is "Better and cheaper", but on this occasion I don't think so!
Cllr Chris Knight Conservative
Hampstead Town Ward
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 4 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 6 Camden woman in running for Miss Universe Germany
- 7 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 8 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 9 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
North London Waste Authority Member