Council is leaking vital funds with its real nappies subsidy
At the last meeting of the North London Waste Authority held on February 6, Liberal Democrat and Labour Councillors voted to reintroduce subsidies for real nappies. I would like to make my position clear on the subject of real nappies, I support their us
At the last meeting of the North London Waste Authority held on February 6, Liberal Democrat and Labour Councillors voted to reintroduce subsidies for real nappies.
I would like to make my position clear on the subject of real nappies, I support their use! The point that I am making is that there must be a better way of dealing with the nappy subsidy, and I have asked officers of the NLWA to look at coming up with an alternative proposal.
Camden has, up until December of 2007, recorded 276 applicants for the nappy subsidy which brings Camden's share of the cost to a staggering £24,000, or an equally staggering equivalent of £315 per tonne when the standard cost of waste disposal by conventional methods is £55 per tonne. These figures include £8,750 costs of belonging to the Real Nappies for London scheme for outreach and admin costs.
We as councillors have a responsibility to our council taxpayers and Camden's policy is "Better and cheaper", but on this occasion I don't think so!
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Chris Knight Conservative
Hampstead Town Ward
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 Letters: The floods!
North London Waste Authority Member