Search

Council fined over death of electrocuted father

PUBLISHED: 14:42 26 March 2009 | UPDATED: 16:03 07 September 2010

CAMDEN Council has been fined £40,000 over the death of a father-of-three who was electrocuted by a faulty security light. Ralph Kennedy, 24, of Royal College Street in Camden Town, died almost instantly when more than 240 volts passed through his body as

CAMDEN Council has been fined £40,000 over the death of a father-of-three who was electrocuted by a faulty security light.

Ralph Kennedy, 24, of Royal College Street in Camden Town, died almost instantly when more than 240 volts passed through his body as he worked on scaffolding on the Mayford estate in Somers Town.

The council pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey this week to breaching health and safety laws by failing to ensure sub-contracted staff were not exposed to risk.

Michael Scorer, the council's acting housing and adult social care boss, said: "We are extremely sorry for Mr Kennedy's tragic death in September 2006. We again offer our sincere condolence to his family for their loss.

"We take health and safety extremely seriously and accept the £40,000 fine. Following the incident we have worked very closely with the Health and Safety Executive to make the improvements recommended.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express