Coppell's Reading clinging to survival as Spurs visit Madejski Stadium
Much has changed for Steve Coppell s Reading since the two teams met at the Lane in January. Although Tottenham were then narrow winners, thanks to a 15th minute Robbie Keane goal, Reading appeared unlikely relegation candidates. But with only two points
Much has changed for Steve Coppell's Reading since the two teams met at the Lane in January.
Although Tottenham were then narrow winners, thanks to a 15th minute Robbie Keane goal, Reading appeared unlikely relegation candidates. But with only two points from the last 15, the Royals have plummeted and now hover a bare point above Birmingham.
Coppell's men had seemed to be on the way up when they took a point from Blackburn after beating Birmingham in their previous game in March.
But exactly the opposite happened and the Madejski outfit slumped to three straight losses.
While the 3-0 drubbing by Newcastle caused plenty of concern, the home loss to relegation rivals Fulham really set the alarm bells ringing. A 2-0 defeat to Arsenal and then a solitary point at lowly Wigan on Saturday has left them on the brink.
However, Reading's problems are there for all to see, coupled with a fragile defence, they are just not scoring goals.
- 1 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 4 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 5 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
- 6 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
- 7 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 8 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 9 Two-year waitlist for mental health patients at Tavistock Centre
- 10 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
Coppell's men have not put the ball in the net since Andre Bikey bagged a brace in their 2-1 win over Birmingham but despite remaining a first team regular has not scored since.
Marek Matejovsky was on target in the 2-1 defeat at Anfield also in March, and although both Shane Long and Spurs fans Dave Kitson have scored this season they, like their team-mates, have been unable to repeat the feat in recent weeks.
It is a must-win for Reading.