Constituents needs courteous and direct attention
I was a Camden Councillor in 1975, when I had the good fortune to be offered a job in Singapore. Some colleagues suggested I should not resign. There would have to be a by-election, which would cost money, and the Labour Party might lose it. I did resign
I was a Camden Councillor in 1975, when I had the good fortune to be offered a job in Singapore. Some colleagues suggested I should not resign. There would have to be a by-election, which would cost money, and the Labour Party might lose it.
I did resign. I have never regretted the decision, even though we did indeed lose the by-election.
The idea that Lib Dem councillor Philip Thompson could conduct his casework from Arizona was totally ridiculous. Kentish Town constituents do not just consist of email-savvy professionals.
There are vulnerable people who need and deserve courteous and direct attention. This can only be given face to face.
When it comes to the council's role as helping those in need, the Lib Dems just don't get it. Whether it is anti-social behaviour or positive efforts to deal with racism (the brilliant Camden United football team, for instance) the Lib Dems are either wishy-washy or just plain wrong.
Cllr Thompson should count his blessings and get on with his studies in the American desert, having resigned his seat in Kentish Town.
- 1 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 2 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 3 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 4 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 5 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 9 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 10 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
(former Camden councillor)