Constituents needs courteous and direct attention
I was a Camden Councillor in 1975, when I had the good fortune to be offered a job in Singapore. Some colleagues suggested I should not resign. There would have to be a by-election, which would cost money, and the Labour Party might lose it. I did resign
I was a Camden Councillor in 1975, when I had the good fortune to be offered a job in Singapore. Some colleagues suggested I should not resign. There would have to be a by-election, which would cost money, and the Labour Party might lose it.
I did resign. I have never regretted the decision, even though we did indeed lose the by-election.
The idea that Lib Dem councillor Philip Thompson could conduct his casework from Arizona was totally ridiculous. Kentish Town constituents do not just consist of email-savvy professionals.
There are vulnerable people who need and deserve courteous and direct attention. This can only be given face to face.
You may also want to watch:
When it comes to the council's role as helping those in need, the Lib Dems just don't get it. Whether it is anti-social behaviour or positive efforts to deal with racism (the brilliant Camden United football team, for instance) the Lib Dems are either wishy-washy or just plain wrong.
Cllr Thompson should count his blessings and get on with his studies in the American desert, having resigned his seat in Kentish Town.
- 1 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 4 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 7 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 10 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
(former Camden councillor)