Confused by councillor's bus stand somments
WE were confused by a recent comment by Cllr Mike Greene, Camden Council s environment spokesman, which suggested that redesigning the bus stand for route 271 in Highgate s Pond Square was our proposal (Redesign plans for 271 bus stand, H&H November 23).
WE were confused by a recent comment by Cllr Mike Greene, Camden Council's environment spokesman, which suggested that redesigning the bus stand for route 271 in Highgate's Pond Square was our proposal (Redesign plans for 271 bus stand, H&H November 23).
Camden Council proposed extending the pavement outside the cafes on Pond Square by about four metres and Transport for London supported the idea.
The boroughs also have a duty to consider the accessibility of the transport network. At the moment, passengers with mobility problems cannot board or get off buses in Highgate Village and the introduction of a second bus stop in the square would allow buses to pull up close enough to the pavement to use wheelchair ramps and 'kneeling' equipment.
The idea of extending route 271 is not realistic. Route 271 is already a long route, running from Moorgate/Liverpool Street Station to Highgate Village, where it terminates at Pond Square.
Extending the route would be extremely expensive, a duplication of existing services and could result in decreased reliability along the whole route, meaning passengers would suffer delays.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 3 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 4 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 5 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 7 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 8 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 9 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 10 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
Service Change Advocate
Transport for London