Confused by councillor's bus stand somments
WE were confused by a recent comment by Cllr Mike Greene, Camden Council s environment spokesman, which suggested that redesigning the bus stand for route 271 in Highgate s Pond Square was our proposal (Redesign plans for 271 bus stand, H&H November 23).
WE were confused by a recent comment by Cllr Mike Greene, Camden Council's environment spokesman, which suggested that redesigning the bus stand for route 271 in Highgate's Pond Square was our proposal (Redesign plans for 271 bus stand, H&H November 23).
Camden Council proposed extending the pavement outside the cafes on Pond Square by about four metres and Transport for London supported the idea.
The boroughs also have a duty to consider the accessibility of the transport network. At the moment, passengers with mobility problems cannot board or get off buses in Highgate Village and the introduction of a second bus stop in the square would allow buses to pull up close enough to the pavement to use wheelchair ramps and 'kneeling' equipment.
The idea of extending route 271 is not realistic. Route 271 is already a long route, running from Moorgate/Liverpool Street Station to Highgate Village, where it terminates at Pond Square.
You may also want to watch:
Extending the route would be extremely expensive, a duplication of existing services and could result in decreased reliability along the whole route, meaning passengers would suffer delays.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
Service Change Advocate
Transport for London