Concerns about handing over fire service to the mayor
Londoners will feel reassured that the London Fire Authority recently received the highest possible rating in all 5 operational areas assessed by the government department responsible for monitoring these things. So why then is this Labour government pr
Londoners will feel reassured that the London Fire Authority recently received the highest possible rating in all 5 operational areas assessed by the government department responsible for monitoring these things.
So why then is this Labour government proposing to tinker with what is clearly a winning formula? The Greater London Authority Bill currently going through Parliament seeks to give Mayor Livingstone ground-breaking new powers to direct operational matters at the Authority (a field in which he has no expertise) and to replace 2 elected Members on the Fire Authority with his own political appointees.
Many Londoners have grave doubts about the way in which the mayor is exercising his existing powers _ and must surely have concerns about our fire service being handed over to him on a platter? It is also demonstrates yet again this government's tendency to extend politicians'
powers of patronage. New Labour, New Cronyism!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
66 Shepherds Hill