Concerns about handing over fire service to the mayor
Londoners will feel reassured that the London Fire Authority recently received the highest possible rating in all 5 operational areas assessed by the government department responsible for monitoring these things. So why then is this Labour government pr
Londoners will feel reassured that the London Fire Authority recently received the highest possible rating in all 5 operational areas assessed by the government department responsible for monitoring these things.
So why then is this Labour government proposing to tinker with what is clearly a winning formula? The Greater London Authority Bill currently going through Parliament seeks to give Mayor Livingstone ground-breaking new powers to direct operational matters at the Authority (a field in which he has no expertise) and to replace 2 elected Members on the Fire Authority with his own political appointees.
Many Londoners have grave doubts about the way in which the mayor is exercising his existing powers _ and must surely have concerns about our fire service being handed over to him on a platter? It is also demonstrates yet again this government's tendency to extend politicians'
powers of patronage. New Labour, New Cronyism!
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 3 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 4 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 5 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 6 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 7 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 9 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 10 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
66 Shepherds Hill