Concerns about handing over fire service to the mayor
Londoners will feel reassured that the London Fire Authority recently received the highest possible rating in all 5 operational areas assessed by the government department responsible for monitoring these things. So why then is this Labour government pr
Londoners will feel reassured that the London Fire Authority recently received the highest possible rating in all 5 operational areas assessed by the government department responsible for monitoring these things.
So why then is this Labour government proposing to tinker with what is clearly a winning formula? The Greater London Authority Bill currently going through Parliament seeks to give Mayor Livingstone ground-breaking new powers to direct operational matters at the Authority (a field in which he has no expertise) and to replace 2 elected Members on the Fire Authority with his own political appointees.
Many Londoners have grave doubts about the way in which the mayor is exercising his existing powers _ and must surely have concerns about our fire service being handed over to him on a platter? It is also demonstrates yet again this government's tendency to extend politicians'
powers of patronage. New Labour, New Cronyism!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 7 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 8 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 9 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
66 Shepherds Hill