Concerns about handing over fire service to the mayor
Londoners will feel reassured that the London Fire Authority recently received the highest possible rating in all 5 operational areas assessed by the government department responsible for monitoring these things. So why then is this Labour government pr
Londoners will feel reassured that the London Fire Authority recently received the highest possible rating in all 5 operational areas assessed by the government department responsible for monitoring these things.
So why then is this Labour government proposing to tinker with what is clearly a winning formula? The Greater London Authority Bill currently going through Parliament seeks to give Mayor Livingstone ground-breaking new powers to direct operational matters at the Authority (a field in which he has no expertise) and to replace 2 elected Members on the Fire Authority with his own political appointees.
Many Londoners have grave doubts about the way in which the mayor is exercising his existing powers _ and must surely have concerns about our fire service being handed over to him on a platter? It is also demonstrates yet again this government's tendency to extend politicians'
powers of patronage. New Labour, New Cronyism!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 8 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 9 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 10 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
66 Shepherds Hill