Competitive race for places in Haringey's primary schools
I wasn t surprised to hear about the confusion over primary school entries in Haringey. As the mother of a two-year-old I am concerned about the overly-complicated (not to mention competitive!) race for places. It is not only primary schools, but pre-scho
I wasn't surprised to hear about the confusion over primary school entries in Haringey. As the mother of a two-year-old I am concerned about the overly-complicated (not to mention competitive!) race for places.
It is not only primary schools, but pre-school childrens centres who are short of places. When I attended an open day at one of these centres in Haringey with my then one-year-old daughter, I was asked by staff why I hadn't put her name down at birth!
The simple answer was: I didn't know I had to! And the truth is, we parents shouldn't have to be competing for the best children's centres and schools, as there should be sufficient quantity for all children in the borough.
Haringey schools face a funding gap of �37million, it was recently revealed. This is due to an unfair funding formula and our children are suffering because of it.
You may also want to watch:
Those who can afford it can send their children to private nurseries and schools. But each and every child deserves the best start in life, to aid their development and socialisation.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 8 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
Haringey Green Party
Summersby Road, N6