Competitive race for places in Haringey's primary schools
I wasn t surprised to hear about the confusion over primary school entries in Haringey. As the mother of a two-year-old I am concerned about the overly-complicated (not to mention competitive!) race for places. It is not only primary schools, but pre-scho
I wasn't surprised to hear about the confusion over primary school entries in Haringey. As the mother of a two-year-old I am concerned about the overly-complicated (not to mention competitive!) race for places.
It is not only primary schools, but pre-school childrens centres who are short of places. When I attended an open day at one of these centres in Haringey with my then one-year-old daughter, I was asked by staff why I hadn't put her name down at birth!
The simple answer was: I didn't know I had to! And the truth is, we parents shouldn't have to be competing for the best children's centres and schools, as there should be sufficient quantity for all children in the borough.
Haringey schools face a funding gap of �37million, it was recently revealed. This is due to an unfair funding formula and our children are suffering because of it.
You may also want to watch:
Those who can afford it can send their children to private nurseries and schools. But each and every child deserves the best start in life, to aid their development and socialisation.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 3 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 4 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 8 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 9 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 10 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute
Haringey Green Party
Summersby Road, N6