Competitive race for places in Haringey's primary schools
I wasn t surprised to hear about the confusion over primary school entries in Haringey. As the mother of a two-year-old I am concerned about the overly-complicated (not to mention competitive!) race for places. It is not only primary schools, but pre-scho
I wasn't surprised to hear about the confusion over primary school entries in Haringey. As the mother of a two-year-old I am concerned about the overly-complicated (not to mention competitive!) race for places.
It is not only primary schools, but pre-school childrens centres who are short of places. When I attended an open day at one of these centres in Haringey with my then one-year-old daughter, I was asked by staff why I hadn't put her name down at birth!
The simple answer was: I didn't know I had to! And the truth is, we parents shouldn't have to be competing for the best children's centres and schools, as there should be sufficient quantity for all children in the borough.
Haringey schools face a funding gap of �37million, it was recently revealed. This is due to an unfair funding formula and our children are suffering because of it.
You may also want to watch:
Those who can afford it can send their children to private nurseries and schools. But each and every child deserves the best start in life, to aid their development and socialisation.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 6 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 7 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 8 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 9 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 10 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
Haringey Green Party
Summersby Road, N6