Community rallies to Muswell Hill family restaurant following smash and grab raid

A CCTV image of a man in Tuana restaurant in Colney Hatch Lane, where �2,000 worth of damage was cau

A CCTV image of a man in Tuana restaurant in Colney Hatch Lane, where �2,000 worth of damage was caused during a break in. Picture: C DIYENLI - Credit: Archant

A restaurant owner has thanked well-wishers after burglars targeted his family business in an early hours smash and grab raid which resulted in thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Thieves smashed down the door of the Tuana Turkish restaurant, in Colney Hatch Lane, last Friday at 3.30am emptying one till, taking another and causing about £2,000 worth of damage to the property.

Owner Ceaser Diyenli, who set up the business three years ago, said: “As a small business we’re working hard to stay on our feet.

“It’s demotivating when someone breaks in and violates your premises. It’s had a hard impact on us. We haven’t got large amounts of cash to fall back on.”

Although the raiders didn’t gain much from the tills, the raid has still had an impact on the business with cash now being diverted towards upgrading security alarms and CCTV.

“I’ve put too much time and effort into the business to give up,” Mr Diyenli said before explaining how the restaurant has been visited by customers and well-wishers since the raid.

“We’ve had a lot of support from the community. I’ve been really touched by it. There’s been a positive side come out of this,” Mr Diyenli said.

Most Read

“It’s reassuring to know people care about a local business. I would like to say thank you to our supporters. They’ve given us the motivation to get back on and serve the kebabs,” he added.

Tuana’s CCTV footage shows a masked man smash the door in, empty the front till and grab a security coded cash register installed at the bar which he can then be seen handing to an accomplice waiting outside.

Mr Diyenli said detectives had visited the business but were unable to find fingerprints.“There’s not much we can do to catch them. But I believe in karma. God will deal with them,” Mr Diyenli said.

Police confirmed officers from Barnet were called at about 10.15am on Friday and attended the scene. CCTV was analysed with forensic work also carried out. There have been no arrests. Enquiries continue.