Comedian Ricky Gervais surprise guest at Hampstead charity night for Animals Asia
- Credit: Archant
Comedian Ricky Gervais may have his hands full resurrecting the comic character that brought him fame and fortune but it hasn’t stopped him finding the time to support cuddly bears in China.
The 51-year-old renowned animal lover, currently reviving the role of David Brent from smash hit comedy series The Office with a string of brand new YouTube sketches, popped down to a special charity evening in aid of animals in Asia at Hampstead’s Burgh House on Sunday.
The evening of music, comedy and performance hosted by Downton Abbey actor Peter Egan, 66, alongside acting friend Robert Daws and his wife Amy Robbins, was held to support Animals Asia, a charity for whom Mr Egan is British ambassador.
He said: “It was a really great evening. Ricky Gervais and his partner came, which was fantastic.
“Like me he is a great animal lover and a great supporter of Animals Asia so I was delighted to have him there.”
You may also want to watch:
Following Sunday’s event, Mr Gervais tweeted: “Just spent the most wonderful evening at @BurghHouse1704 with @PeterEgan6 and friends, raising money for @AnimalsAsia. Such a lovely cause”.
Animals Asia, set up 20 years ago, works to end the practice of bear bile farming and improving animal welfare in China and Vietnam.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 5 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 6 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 7 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change