Comedian Ricky Gervais drops in to fundraising tea party in Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
He might be an internationally acclaimed comedian, but Ricky Gervais still has time to support charities closer to home.
The 52-year-old dropped in at a tea party in Hampstead to raise funds for an animal shelter on Sunday.
The event, hosted by 83-year-old animal lover Angela Humphery, of Willoughby Road, raised £1,000 for The Mayhew Animal Home in Kensal Green.
Mr Gervais, who lives in Hampstead, handed over a cheque to charity chief executive Caroline Yates at the tea party held in Mrs Humphery’s back garden.
She said: “Ricky supports the charity. It made it exciting – people couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw him there.”
You may also want to watch:
The Mayhew Animal Home cares mainly for dogs and cats but also takes in rabbits and guinea pigs.
“The charity has seen double the amount of animals come in because people can’t afford to keep them but they’re receiving half the amount of money they used to,” said Mrs Humphery.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home