Comedian Ricky Gervais drops in to fundraising tea party in Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
He might be an internationally acclaimed comedian, but Ricky Gervais still has time to support charities closer to home.
The 52-year-old dropped in at a tea party in Hampstead to raise funds for an animal shelter on Sunday.
The event, hosted by 83-year-old animal lover Angela Humphery, of Willoughby Road, raised £1,000 for The Mayhew Animal Home in Kensal Green.
Mr Gervais, who lives in Hampstead, handed over a cheque to charity chief executive Caroline Yates at the tea party held in Mrs Humphery’s back garden.
She said: “Ricky supports the charity. It made it exciting – people couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw him there.”
You may also want to watch:
The Mayhew Animal Home cares mainly for dogs and cats but also takes in rabbits and guinea pigs.
“The charity has seen double the amount of animals come in because people can’t afford to keep them but they’re receiving half the amount of money they used to,” said Mrs Humphery.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station