Coldplay’s Chris Martin back in north London as first guitar sells for £20,000
- Credit: Archant
Rock icon Chris Martin has seemingly thrown himself back into north London life after being spotted regularly on the streets of Hampstead and Highgate – in the same week that his first Spanish-made acoustic guitar sold for nearly £20,000 at auction.
The Coldplay frontman’s guitar sold for more than double its top estimate of £9,000 at an eye-watering price of £18,750 at prestigious Bonhams auction house in central London last Wednesday.
The instrument was used during the recording of the band’s first number one album Parachutes.
It was sold alongside other illustrious memorabilia, including two guitars used by legendary musician Eric Clapton.
Natalie Downing, Bonhams’ entertainment memorabilia specialist, said: “The top lot of the sale, the ex-Chris Martin acoustic guitar, comes from a pivotal point in Coldplay’s history. The band were newly formed, and starting to create those now world-famous riffs for tracks like Yellow, Trouble, Shiver and Don’t Panic.”
You may also want to watch:
The musician has been spotted out and about in the neighbourhood of late, one year after reportedly putting his Belsize Park mansion on the market. Two weeks ago, he supported Highgate School’s summer fair.
- 1 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 2 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 3 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 4 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
- 5 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 6 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 7 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 8 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 9 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 10 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower