Coldplay donate �1million to Camden children's charity
PLATINUM-selling bands Coldplay have donated �1million to help fund a charity s new children s centre in Camden. Primrose Hill singer Chris Martin and his three bandmates gave the cash to Camberwell based Kids Company. The charity, founded by Camila Batma
PLATINUM-selling bands Coldplay have donated �1million to help fund a charity's new children's centre in Camden.
Primrose Hill singer Chris Martin and his three bandmates gave the cash to Camberwell based Kids Company.
The charity, founded by Camila Batmanghelidjh, provides emotional, practical and educational support to vulnerable inner-city children and young people.
Coldplay helped out after visiting the charity's centres in Kenbury Street, Camberwell, and Decima Street, in Elephant and Castle.
You may also want to watch:
The band, who wanted to keep the donation quiet, has also reportedly offered to give music lessons to the children.
A Kids Company spokeswoman said: "They were inspired by the work they saw that they decided to make this donation."
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
After building the Camden centre, the charity hopes to set up four more across the country by 2012.
Coldplay shot to fame in 2000 with bestselling album Parachutes. Three subsequent albums have all been chart-toppers.
Mr Martin is married to Hollywood A-lister Gwyneth Paltrow. They have two children, Apple and Moses.
Ms Paltrow has been an active supporter of Kids Company in the past.
The charity has reached 13,500 children who have often experienced severe and multiple trauma.
It has three centres in south London and works in more than 30 schools across the capital