Cocaine den uncovered in Belsize Park
A COCAINE den in the heart of affluent Belsize Park has been smashed in a police raid, leaving residents shocked. Officers swooped on the flat in Belsize Square last Thursday, seizing large amounts of the Class A drug and cash. The raid, at 6.30pm, was in
A COCAINE den in the heart of affluent Belsize Park has been smashed in a police raid, leaving residents shocked.
Officers swooped on the flat in Belsize Square last Thursday, seizing large amounts of the Class A drug and cash.
The raid, at 6.30pm, was in response to an intelligence operation to tackle the supply of Class A drugs to Camden.
A 68-year-old man was arrested at the house on suspicion of supplying drugs and was later bailed.
"It sounds extraordinary," said Helena Djurkovic, chairwoman of the Belsize Park Safer Neighbourhoods Panel.
"I would not expect a place like that to be around here but it is positive the police have taken action."
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 3 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 4 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 5 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 6 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 Grease: 'High energy fun but I'm not hopelessly devoted'
- 9 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 10 The Burnt City: stunning but elusive take on Trojan War
Another resident, who did not wish to be named, was also surprised at the presence of a drugs den in the area.
"It is pretty quiet around here but that is probably why it is here," she said. "If you were a drug dealer you'd want to keep out of the limelight.
As well as a whole bag and 20 wraps of cocaine, police also confiscated nearly £2,000 in cash from the property. A set of electronic weighing scales, a spoon, a knife and a credit card all covered in the same white powder were also taken away.
Sgt Paul Brown from Camden's intelligence unit said: "We will continue to identify and arrest those involved in the use and supply of drugs in Camden." Anyone with any information on drug dealing should call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.