Closure of Belsize fire station announced by London Fire Brigade
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Belsize fire station is one of 12 across the capital proposed for closure under plans by London Fire Brigade to save £28.2million over the next two years.
The commissioner of the London Fire Brigade published proposals today (Friday, January 11) outlining the savings plan, which includes the closure of Belsize fire station in Lancaster Grove, Belsize Park.
The other stations set for closure are Bow, Clapham, Clerkenwell, Downham, Kingsland, Knightsbridge, New Cross, Silvertown, Southwark, Westminster and Woolwich.
If approved, following a consultation, the proposed changes would be implemented from this autumn.
They will result in the loss of 520 front line firefighter jobs if agreed.
London Fire Brigade say the plans have been designed to modernise London’s network of fire stations so that fire engines are located where they are most needed, rather than being situated based on historical factors.
The brigade says central London still has more fire stations than outer London “partly because it used to be far more densely populated before people moved out to the suburbs”.
- 1 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 2 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 3 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 4 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 5 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 6 Could Adama Traore be on his way to Tottenham?
- 7 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 8 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 9 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 10 Autistic TV presenter joins Hampstead pupils for 'most wonderful day'
The announcement comes two days after the Mayor of London’s office confirmed that Hampstead and West Hampstead police stations are set for closure as part of a Metropolitan Police cost cutting drive.