Closure of Belsize fire station announced by London Fire Brigade
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Belsize fire station is one of 12 across the capital proposed for closure under plans by London Fire Brigade to save £28.2million over the next two years.
The commissioner of the London Fire Brigade published proposals today (Friday, January 11) outlining the savings plan, which includes the closure of Belsize fire station in Lancaster Grove, Belsize Park.
The other stations set for closure are Bow, Clapham, Clerkenwell, Downham, Kingsland, Knightsbridge, New Cross, Silvertown, Southwark, Westminster and Woolwich.
If approved, following a consultation, the proposed changes would be implemented from this autumn.
They will result in the loss of 520 front line firefighter jobs if agreed.
You may also want to watch:
London Fire Brigade say the plans have been designed to modernise London’s network of fire stations so that fire engines are located where they are most needed, rather than being situated based on historical factors.
The brigade says central London still has more fire stations than outer London “partly because it used to be far more densely populated before people moved out to the suburbs”.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 9 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 10 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
The announcement comes two days after the Mayor of London’s office confirmed that Hampstead and West Hampstead police stations are set for closure as part of a Metropolitan Police cost cutting drive.