Cllr Knight misses some vital points in real nappy debate
It s good to hear that Cllr Knight supports the use of real nappies. He is probably aware that they are the right choice for reducing climate impact and saving family costs as well as cutting waste. Sadly, he has missed some of the points that Women s E
It's good to hear that Cllr Knight supports the use of real nappies. He is probably aware that they are the right choice for reducing climate impact and saving family costs as well as cutting waste.
Sadly, he has missed some of the points that Women's Environmental Network (WEN) made to the North London Waste Authority as it considered its support for Real Nappies for London.
WEN made clear that benefits shouldn't just be measured by take up of vouchers to buy real nappies (and the consequent calculated tonnage of disposable nappy waste and landfill tax avoided).
For every person using real nappies bought with a voucher, there are family members and friends who will gain from that experience. One job of Real Nappies for London is to make sure that the experience is a good one by providing information and support.
You may also want to watch:
The other unmeasured benefit is that this is also a route to raising awareness about other waste issues, reaching the people who make household decisions affecting waste at a the time when they are most receptive to change, ie new mums.
All this is all hard to measure. As Viscount Leverhulme, another Conservative, said, "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted. The trouble is I don't know which half".
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 9 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
Fortunately, other Camden councillors and officers understand this and take a broader and longer-term view on the benefits of promoting real nappy use.
See realnappiesforlondon.org.uk for information or the helpline 020 7324 4709.
Real Nappies Projects
Women's Environmental Network
020 7481 9004
WEN is a registered charity educating, informing and empowering women and men who care about the environment. It researches and campaigns on environmental and health issues from a female perspective.