Clissold Arms George: All welcome to attend funeral of popular Fortis Green landlord
- Credit: Archant
The funeral of a much-loved Fortis Green landlord will take place next week.
Clissold Arms owner George Karageorgis died after a short illness on January 7.
The pub is famous for its association with rock band The Kinks, which played its first ever gig there in 1960 – as well as its final one in 1996.
Mr Karageorgis’s life will be celebrated at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral Church of All Saints in Camden Street on Saturday, January 21 at 10am.
Anyone who wishes is welcome to attend the ceremony, which will be followed by a procession to New Southgate Cemetery in Brunswick Park Road via the Clissold Arms.
You may also want to watch:
A wake will then be held at the pub, but only close friends and family are invited.
However manager Sonia Pereira said a separate event, to which anyone that knew him will be invited, is being organised for a later date at the Clissold Arms.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 3 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
She said: “Another way that you might like to honour George’s memory and his generosity of community spirit is by donating to his two favourite charities, Mind in Haringey and The Harington Scheme.
“Some of you may know that George worked closely with these organisations in recent years, raising money for them, spreading the word about their work and holding events. It’s just another in a long list of examples of his kindness and desire to help people in our local area.”
She added: “Thank you for your continued support, kind words and thoughts.”