Cigarette to blame for fire which destroyed Camden Town home of 90-year-old woman
PUBLISHED: 18:05 03 September 2015 | UPDATED: 18:05 03 September 2015
A cigarette is believed to have caused a fire which destroyed half of a flat in Lewis Street, Camden Town
Fire investigators said: “The careless disposal of a cigarette is believed to be the cause...smoking still causes a third of fatal fires which shows why it’s vitally important that people always put their cigarettes right out and completely avoid smoking in the bedroom.”
As reported in the Ham & High, Bridget Connell, 90, who lives at the flat with son Maurice, was not at home at the time.
Maurice had also gone out when the fire broke out.
Four fire engines and 21 officers were called to tackle the blaze which broke out at around 1:20pm on Wednesday.
The whole event brought back terrible memories for Ms Carron, whose own flat a few doors along was damaged in an arsonist attack in February.
Ms Carron, who has made national headlines over the past decade for her work in clearing the estate of drug dealing, said: “Back in February an arsonist set fire to a playhouse in the front garden which in turn set fire to my flat. He had used an accelerant to set the fire. Nobody was ever charged. This has brought it all back to me.I hope arsonists haven’t come back again to target the estate again.”
Ms Connell, who has lived in her flat since 1962, was this week being looked after by relatives.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.