Search

Cigarette butt fire leads to evacuation of old folks' block

PUBLISHED: 18:09 16 September 2008 | UPDATED: 15:23 07 September 2010

A FIRE caused by a cigarette butt ended with dozens of elderly people being evacuated in Belsize Park. Last Friday afternoon firefighters were called to Burnet House on Winchester Road when smoke filled one of the apartments. The Origin Group, which runs

A FIRE caused by a cigarette butt ended with dozens of elderly people being evacuated in Belsize Park.

Last Friday afternoon firefighters were called to Burnet House on Winchester Road when smoke filled one of the apartments.

The Origin Group, which runs the sheltered housing block, said the fire was started when a man accidentally threw a lit cigarette in his bin.

Simon Angell was working on the drains behind the block at the time of the fire.

He said: "We could smell the smoke then the alarm went off.

"We could see the smoke coming out of the one of windows, so we alerted one of the carers here and everyone was kicked out."

Four fire engines were called to the scene as well as an ambulance but fortunately no one was injured.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express