Christmas recipes - Beetroot Relish Recipe
(Makes approx 12x8oz jars)
1kg raw beetroot, peeled + coarsely shredded (thin julienne strips are ideal if you have a mandolin or food processor that will do this)
750g red or white onions, finely sliced
750g apples, peeled, cored + grated
You may also want to watch:
500ml red wine or cider vinegar (at least 5% acidity)
500g soft light brown sugar
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 5 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 6 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 10 'We can't afford it': Camden foodbank prepares for spike in demand
2 tbsp peeled + freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled + crushed
2 sticks cinnamon
1 heaped tsp turmeric
2 tsp paprika or cayenne
1 level tsp ground cloves
Zest + juice of 2 oranges
A splash of port (optional)
Put the ingredients in a large stainless steel preserving or heavy-based pan.
Heat the mixture until boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the beetroot is tender and the liquid has reduced to a syrup consistency.
Remove the cinnamon sticks. Pot the relish into warm, sterilised jars; fill almost to the brim and seal immediately.
Once cooled, label and store in a cool, dark place; it should keep for a few months. Once opened, keep in the fridge and eat within a week.