Christmas recipes - Beetroot Relish Recipe
(Makes approx 12x8oz jars)
1kg raw beetroot, peeled + coarsely shredded (thin julienne strips are ideal if you have a mandolin or food processor that will do this)
750g red or white onions, finely sliced
750g apples, peeled, cored + grated
You may also want to watch:
500ml red wine or cider vinegar (at least 5% acidity)
500g soft light brown sugar
- 1 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 4 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 5 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 Reader letter: Rubbish bins in Camden need 'levelling up'
- 8 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 9 Bishopwood Bowling Club hopes to create new image for the sport
- 10 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
2 tbsp peeled + freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled + crushed
2 sticks cinnamon
1 heaped tsp turmeric
2 tsp paprika or cayenne
1 level tsp ground cloves
Zest + juice of 2 oranges
A splash of port (optional)
Put the ingredients in a large stainless steel preserving or heavy-based pan.
Heat the mixture until boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the beetroot is tender and the liquid has reduced to a syrup consistency.
Remove the cinnamon sticks. Pot the relish into warm, sterilised jars; fill almost to the brim and seal immediately.
Once cooled, label and store in a cool, dark place; it should keep for a few months. Once opened, keep in the fridge and eat within a week.