Christmas recipes - Beetroot Relish Recipe
(Makes approx 12x8oz jars)
1kg raw beetroot, peeled + coarsely shredded (thin julienne strips are ideal if you have a mandolin or food processor that will do this)
750g red or white onions, finely sliced
750g apples, peeled, cored + grated
You may also want to watch:
500ml red wine or cider vinegar (at least 5% acidity)
500g soft light brown sugar
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 9 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
- 10 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
2 tbsp peeled + freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled + crushed
2 sticks cinnamon
1 heaped tsp turmeric
2 tsp paprika or cayenne
1 level tsp ground cloves
Zest + juice of 2 oranges
A splash of port (optional)
Put the ingredients in a large stainless steel preserving or heavy-based pan.
Heat the mixture until boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the beetroot is tender and the liquid has reduced to a syrup consistency.
Remove the cinnamon sticks. Pot the relish into warm, sterilised jars; fill almost to the brim and seal immediately.
Once cooled, label and store in a cool, dark place; it should keep for a few months. Once opened, keep in the fridge and eat within a week.