Christmas recipes - Beetroot Relish Recipe
(Makes approx 12x8oz jars)
1kg raw beetroot, peeled + coarsely shredded (thin julienne strips are ideal if you have a mandolin or food processor that will do this)
750g red or white onions, finely sliced
750g apples, peeled, cored + grated
500ml red wine or cider vinegar (at least 5% acidity)
500g soft light brown sugar
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 5 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 6 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 7 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 8 Start-up delivers home cooked meals to your door
- 9 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 10 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
2 tbsp peeled + freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled + crushed
2 sticks cinnamon
1 heaped tsp turmeric
2 tsp paprika or cayenne
1 level tsp ground cloves
Zest + juice of 2 oranges
A splash of port (optional)
Put the ingredients in a large stainless steel preserving or heavy-based pan.
Heat the mixture until boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the beetroot is tender and the liquid has reduced to a syrup consistency.
Remove the cinnamon sticks. Pot the relish into warm, sterilised jars; fill almost to the brim and seal immediately.
Once cooled, label and store in a cool, dark place; it should keep for a few months. Once opened, keep in the fridge and eat within a week.