Santa joins Christmas lights switch on in Muswell Hill
- Credit: Polly Hancock
Muswell Hill was brimming with festive song and spirit on Saturday as the Christmas lights were switched on in St James Square.
Highgate and Muswell Hill's North London Brass band provided musical entertainment ahead of the switch-on, and Pop Choir sang classic Christmas pop songs like Step Into Christmas and also a version of the Leonard Cohen song Hallelujah.
While the music rang out, a steady stream of children queued for Santa's grotto which was in a hut outside The Everyman cinema in Fortis Green Road.
By sunset, the pavement was packed for the switch-on.
Mayor Adam Jogee turned on the lights, joined by Councillors Ruth Gordon and Pippa Connor.
More singing followed.
- 1 Haringey Council accidentally leaks £54m office expansion scheme
- 2 Noel Gallagher and Jake Bugg announce Hampstead Heath gig
- 3 Helena Bonham Carter to play Crossroads star in ITV drama
- 4 'Unacceptable': Camden councillor resigns over secret Twitter account
- 5 Haringey Council SEND failures: 'Some parents are on antidepressants'
- 6 'Symbolises community spirit': Keir Starmer joins Mitzvah Day in Hampstead
- 7 'Sticky McStickstick' to star with Michael Rosen at storytelling event
- 8 Things to do in north London: Christmas markets, workshops and more this weekend
- 9 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 10 Handcuffing: What is the Met's new policy and why has it been introduced?