Christmas comes early for family of monkeys
Emperor tamarins at ZSL London Zoo received a special treat for their first Christmas together
MONKEYING around with a traditional festive treat, Christmas came early for these emperor tamarins this week.
The family of six mustachioed monkeys were treated to a Christmas pudding to celebrate their first yuletide together, after the birth of two males earlier this year at ZSL London Zoo.
However, instead of being filled with dried fruits and booze, the monkey’s indestructible boomer ball was stuffed full of slightly healthier treats.
The ball is part of the family’s enrichment programme to spark their natural curiosity and lively natures.
You may also want to watch:
But while the rest of us shiver in the Big Freeze and get ready for a white Christmas, the tamarins will be basking in a balmy 25 to 30C in the zoo’s brand new Rainforest Life exhibit, along with two-toed sloths, golden headed lion tamarins and a tree anteater.
Senior zookeeper, Lucy Hawley says: “This is the family’s first Christmas together so as an extra special treat we thought we would give them everyone’s favourite festive treat, Christmas puddings!
- 1 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 2 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 3 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 4 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 5 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 6 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
- 7 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 8 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 9 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
“Christmas maybe coming, but our emperor tamarins won’t be getting fat, as these Christmas puddings are painted boomer balls filled with their favourite healthy snacks.”