Childs Hill residents plea to English Heritage to save historic vicarage from developer
- Credit: Archant
Residents in Childs Hill have made a last-ditch attempt to protect a former vicarage from demolition as part of plans to build a new care home.
Developer Central and Cecil Housing Trust (CCHT) has applied to Barnet Council to demolish Church Walk House, an elderly care home in Church Walk, and replace it with a three-storey home.
The plans include flattening a vicarage on the site, which dates back to the 1850s, that residents insist should be protected for its historical importance.
English Heritage is now considering an application to list the building and will provide a report to the Department for Culture, Media and Sport in due course.
Harriet Green, whose garden in Prospect Road faces the care home, said: “We all want to save a very important building in the area – it’s a unique building. It will be devastating to the area to lose it.”
You may also want to watch:
The housing trust submitted a new application to replace Church Walk House in November after it had to withdraw its original application due to missing documents required by law.
A CCHT spokesman said: “We have throughout the planning process responded to residents’ questions constructively and will continue to engage with local people.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 6 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 7 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Arts centre? Rock'n'roll museum? What future for Hampstead Police Station?
“We remain committed to providing affordable extra care housing for local people in Barnet.”