Cherry Clafoutis with Amaretto Sabayon recipe by Rob Rees MBE, The Cotswold Chef
Makes 1 x 8” tart
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SWEET PASTRY
• 225g Shipton Mill plain flour
• 100g Netherend Farm Butter, chilled
• 100g caster sugar
You may also want to watch:
• Zest of half orange, grated
• 1 egg, lightly whisked with a fork
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 10 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
1. Sieve the flour into a clean bowl. Add the butter and gently using the tips of your fingers “rub in” the butter and flour together until you have a mixture that resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar. Next add just enough egg to bind to a smooth dough. Leave to rest for 30 minutes before rolling it out.
2. Roll out the pastry and line a round flutted flan tin. Bake blind in a pre heated oven at 180ºC for 5 minutes. Remove the baking beans and place back in the oven for a further 5 minutes until cooked.
3. Allow to cool and make the filling.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
• 3 yolks
• 2 eggs
• 75g caster sugar
• 75g flour
• 100ml double cream
• 1x Fresh Vanilla pod
• Cherries – 400g stoned fresh cherries
• 2 Dessert Spoons of Kirsch
1. Drizzle the Kirsch over the cherries in a mixing bowl. Allow to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Scatter the cherries in the base of your pastry case.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until it can hold a “figure of eight” then gently fold in the flour. Once combined pour in the cream and mix well.
4. Spoon the egg mixture over the cherries and bake in a pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with caster sugar.
AMARETTO SABAYON INGREDIENTS
• 50g caster sugar
• 100ml water
• 2 eggs
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 tablespoon icing sugar
• Amaretto to taste
1. Dissolve the sugar in the water over a low heat. Once dissolved bring to the boil until the mixture reaches ‘soft-ball’ stage. Soft-ball occurs when the sugar/water mixture reaches 235-245ºF. If you do not have a sugar thermometer you can test the mixture by dropping a spoonful of the syrup into a bowl of very cold water.
2. Once in the water and you can shape the sugar easliy with your fingers into a soft ball, it is ready – do take care not to burn yourself!
3. Whisk the eggs, egg yolk and icing sugar together until light and fluffy (“figure of eight”).
4. Continue to whisk the egg mixture while you pour the sugar syrup very slowly and in a continuous flow onto the eggs. Once the sugar syrup has been incorporated whisk the mixture until light and airy and cold. Add a couple of dashes of Amaretto.
5. Place a good spoonful of the Sabayon into the centre of a plate and gently place on top a portion of the Cherry Clafoutis and serve.
Visit Rob Rees' Website: www.thecotswoldchef.com