Chechen gangster guilty of Highgate killing
A CHECHEN gangster faces life behind bars after stabbing a student to death when the ethnic tensions of eastern Europe spilled on to the streets of Highgate. Killer Mubarak Suleymanov, 29, plunged a blade into the lungs and liver of Russian Timur Gusev, 2
A CHECHEN gangster faces life behind bars after stabbing a student to death when the ethnic tensions of eastern Europe spilled on to the streets of Highgate.
Killer Mubarak Suleymanov, 29, plunged a blade into the lungs and liver of Russian Timur Gusev, 26, on a patch of wasteland in Shepherd's Hill on the night of May 1, 2008, just yards from Highgate Tube Station.
The killer then plunged his knife into Georgian Roman Kochiev's back, before his jaw was shattered by one of Mr Gusev's friends.
Prosecutor David Fisher QC said: "Perceived debt and an intense inherent dislike between some of those involved, based on ethnicity, were sufficient to cause extreme violence."
Following a six week trial at the Old Bailey, Suleymanov, of Kingsthorpe Close, Nottingham, was convicted of murder and wounding with intent. He was remanded in custody for sentencing on a later.
Adam Terlo, 32, of Everest Court, Leicester, was cleared of murder, attempted murder and an alternative charge of wounding with intent. Terlo, also a Chechen, had driven him to the murder scene but called police when violence broke out.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 5 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 6 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 7 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 8 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 9 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 10 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
For more on this story read this week's Ham&High.