Chechen gangster guilty of Highgate killing
A CHECHEN gangster faces life behind bars after stabbing a student to death when the ethnic tensions of eastern Europe spilled on to the streets of Highgate. Killer Mubarak Suleymanov, 29, plunged a blade into the lungs and liver of Russian Timur Gusev, 2
A CHECHEN gangster faces life behind bars after stabbing a student to death when the ethnic tensions of eastern Europe spilled on to the streets of Highgate.
Killer Mubarak Suleymanov, 29, plunged a blade into the lungs and liver of Russian Timur Gusev, 26, on a patch of wasteland in Shepherd's Hill on the night of May 1, 2008, just yards from Highgate Tube Station.
The killer then plunged his knife into Georgian Roman Kochiev's back, before his jaw was shattered by one of Mr Gusev's friends.
Prosecutor David Fisher QC said: "Perceived debt and an intense inherent dislike between some of those involved, based on ethnicity, were sufficient to cause extreme violence."
You may also want to watch:
Following a six week trial at the Old Bailey, Suleymanov, of Kingsthorpe Close, Nottingham, was convicted of murder and wounding with intent. He was remanded in custody for sentencing on a later.
Adam Terlo, 32, of Everest Court, Leicester, was cleared of murder, attempted murder and an alternative charge of wounding with intent. Terlo, also a Chechen, had driven him to the murder scene but called police when violence broke out.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 8 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
For more on this story read this week's Ham&High.