Chechen gangster guilty of Highgate killing
A CHECHEN gangster faces life behind bars after stabbing a student to death when the ethnic tensions of eastern Europe spilled on to the streets of Highgate. Killer Mubarak Suleymanov, 29, plunged a blade into the lungs and liver of Russian Timur Gusev, 2
A CHECHEN gangster faces life behind bars after stabbing a student to death when the ethnic tensions of eastern Europe spilled on to the streets of Highgate.
Killer Mubarak Suleymanov, 29, plunged a blade into the lungs and liver of Russian Timur Gusev, 26, on a patch of wasteland in Shepherd's Hill on the night of May 1, 2008, just yards from Highgate Tube Station.
The killer then plunged his knife into Georgian Roman Kochiev's back, before his jaw was shattered by one of Mr Gusev's friends.
Prosecutor David Fisher QC said: "Perceived debt and an intense inherent dislike between some of those involved, based on ethnicity, were sufficient to cause extreme violence."
You may also want to watch:
Following a six week trial at the Old Bailey, Suleymanov, of Kingsthorpe Close, Nottingham, was convicted of murder and wounding with intent. He was remanded in custody for sentencing on a later.
Adam Terlo, 32, of Everest Court, Leicester, was cleared of murder, attempted murder and an alternative charge of wounding with intent. Terlo, also a Chechen, had driven him to the murder scene but called police when violence broke out.
- 1 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 2 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 7 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
For more on this story read this week's Ham&High.