Champions League draw could pit Spurs against two Euro giants
By Ben Pearce TOTTENHAM could be pitted against two of Europe s super heavyweights in today s Champions League draw after being placed in Pot Three. The draw takes place at 5pm (GMT) in Monaco and, while Spurs cannot draw any of the teams from their own p
By Ben Pearce
TOTTENHAM could be pitted against two of Europe's super heavyweights in today's Champions League draw after being placed in Pot Three.
The draw takes place at 5pm (GMT) in Monaco and, while Spurs cannot draw any of the teams from their own pot, they could face any of the 16 teams from Pot One or Two - apart from Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.
It opens up the possibility that the Lilywhites could face both Barcelona and Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Valencia, AC Milan and Benfica, and any other combination of Europe's top 16 seeds.
Spurs cannot draw their English rivals, who are all in Pot One, giving Harry Redknapp's side just five possible opponents from the top-ranked set - Inter Milan, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, AC Milan or Lyon.
Meanwhile, Spurs can also draw any of the eight teams from Pot Two, which contains more big names including Real Madrid, Werder Bremen, Roma, Benfica and Valencia.
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 3 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 4 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 5 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 6 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 7 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 8 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 9 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 10 BAFTA-nominated BBC series returns to the Royal Free Hospital
Spurs will avoid their fellow Pot Three teams, meaning that they cannot face the likes of Ajax, Rangers, Braga and Spartak Moscow.
But they will face a team from Pot Four, which could mean ties against Steve McClaren's FC Twente and Auxerre.
Teams Tottenham can draw:
One of: Inter Milan, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Lyon.
One of: Werder Bremen, Real Madrid, Roma, Shakhtar Donetsk, Benfica, Valencia, Marseille, Panathinaikos.
One of: Hapoel Tel-Aviv, FC Twente, Rubin Kazan, Auxerre, CFR Cluj, FK Partizan, MSK Zilina, Bursaspor.