Chalcots tower block evacuated twice on Saturday
- Credit: Archant
Dorney residents were evacuated twice on Saturday after a “burning smell” was reported inside the tower block.
Camden council took the decision to evacuate as a precautionary measure at around midday. Floors 17 to 21, where the burning smell was strongest, were evacuated.
The London fire brigade arrived at the Chalcots estate shortly before 1pm but were unable to find the source of the smell.
The fire service arrived back on the estate before 3pm and floors 11-21 were evacuated. After an inspection found that an overheated belt in the lift motor was causing the burning smell.
Five fire engines attended the scene and around 60 residents were evacuated during the day.