Cemetery hut is better than sheltering in a tomb
Reading your front page (War over Checkpoint Charlie in N6, H&H May 22) l laughed aloud, especially since I am a volunteer and a Friend of Highgate Cemetery, and I regularly occupy the checkpoint on Thursday afternoons. I try to look happy and make peopl
Reading your front page (War over Checkpoint Charlie in N6, H&H May 22) l laughed aloud, especially since I am a volunteer and a Friend of Highgate Cemetery, and I regularly occupy the checkpoint on Thursday afternoons.
I try to look happy and make people feel welcome and if I learn where they come from, I chat about that and even say a few words in a few languages and if possible direct them to Karl Marx in their own language if necessary.
For us volunteers, the hut is a great blessing, especially on cold days as it has a heater and is an improvement on the tomb opposite, where we used to shelter and feel the cold.
Of course the hut is ugly which is made worse by the colour; indeed when I first saw it I assumed it was the undercoat and said so.
I suspect that when it is repainted it will be less of a eyesore.
On the east side we ask visitors for £3 (not £5) and are happy to explain how much we need and appreciate this support as a charity. My experience is that almost everyone gives willingly, even when we are near to closing time.
- 1 Academy to crack down on 'boisterous' behaviour after inspection
- 2 Paddling pool to be open all week after pipes replaced
- 3 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 4 Parliament Hill's second kite display an 'unqualified success'
- 5 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 6 Door-to-door patio cleaners con Belsize Park pensioner out of £1,300
- 7 Firefighters renew e-scooter warning after Finchley blaze
- 8 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 9 Disabled Hampstead swimmer's 'disappointment' at court ruling
- 10 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
Volunteer and Friend of