Cemetery hut is better than sheltering in a tomb
Reading your front page (War over Checkpoint Charlie in N6, H&H May 22) l laughed aloud, especially since I am a volunteer and a Friend of Highgate Cemetery, and I regularly occupy the checkpoint on Thursday afternoons. I try to look happy and make peopl
Reading your front page (War over Checkpoint Charlie in N6, H&H May 22) l laughed aloud, especially since I am a volunteer and a Friend of Highgate Cemetery, and I regularly occupy the checkpoint on Thursday afternoons.
I try to look happy and make people feel welcome and if I learn where they come from, I chat about that and even say a few words in a few languages and if possible direct them to Karl Marx in their own language if necessary.
For us volunteers, the hut is a great blessing, especially on cold days as it has a heater and is an improvement on the tomb opposite, where we used to shelter and feel the cold.
Of course the hut is ugly which is made worse by the colour; indeed when I first saw it I assumed it was the undercoat and said so.
You may also want to watch:
I suspect that when it is repainted it will be less of a eyesore.
On the east side we ask visitors for £3 (not £5) and are happy to explain how much we need and appreciate this support as a charity. My experience is that almost everyone gives willingly, even when we are near to closing time.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
Volunteer and Friend of