Celebrities bowl over crowds at Hampstead cricket match
A team of celebrities including actress Emma Thompson and Downton Abbey butler Jim Carter put their batting skills to the best at a charity match to bring the cricket season to an end.
West Hampstead resident Ms Thompson bowled the first ball in the annual Hampstead Cricket Club celebrity match at the club grounds in Lymington Road on Sunday (September 18).
Downton Abbey actor and cricket club chairman Jim Carter said: “It was a very close game and the celebrity team only just clinched it thanks to a big hit from Greg Wise. It was a fantastic day and a wonderful finale to our cricket season.”
There were famous faces off the pitch as well - as six members of the Downton Abbey cast cheered support from the stands.
The match raised money for junior club cricket and the Anthony Nolan Trust, a bone marrow charity.
You may also want to watch:
The charity uses its register to match people willing to donate blood stem cells or bone marrow to patients with blood cancer who need lifesaving transplants.
Donors for the charity were also recruited on the day.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 4 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 8 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead