Celebrities back campaign to ‘save’ Crouch End and Muswell Hill Post Offices
- Credit: Archant
Crouch End actors leant their voices to calls to keep Muswell Hill and Crouch End Post Offices publicly run ahead of a planned ‘queuing’ demonstration this weekend.
Award-winning Shakesperean actor Josette Simon and Dad’s Army favourite Bill Paterson recorded a series of short videos of Shakesperean quotes, for Crouch End TV, inspired by the Royal Mail’s recent Shakespeare stamps release.
They join numerous residents in calling for Muswell Hill and Crouch End Crown Post Offices to remain public, rather than being franchised and run by private companies, as planned.
Residents are planning to form a “protest queue” in front of the post offices on Saturday.
The Post Office is reviewing plans for the two Post Offices to be transformed into private franchises.
Workers expressed fears that if no franchisee is found for them, they could be forced to close.
A Post Office spokeswoman said that the plans would be subject to a six week consultation, but a date has not yet been set for this to take place.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 3 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 4 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 5 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 6 Stunning light trail wraps up Kenwood like a giant Christmas present
- 7 Tottenham boss Antonio Conte looking to revamp squad in transfer windows
- 8 Movement off the ball key to Arsenal's win against Newcastle
- 9 PLU: St John's Wood restaurant finds the right formula
- 10 Not just for Christmas: Rescue dogs looking for forever homes
She added: “The position at the moment is that we are looking to franchise and have had some interest registered with us following a period of advertising for a potential franchise partner.
“But there are not yet detailed plans and when there are these will be subject to a six week public consultation.
“Most of our network is already run on an agency or franchise basis and has been for many years.
The Post Office announced last year it had plans to transfer the management of 40 crown post offices into private hands and close three more.
This will impact up to 1,000 jobs, according to the Communication Workers Union.
- There will be a queue in front of Crouch End Post Office at 10.30am and Muswell Hill Post Office at 11.30am on May 7.