CBE for Hampstead music mogul
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead music executive David Joseph has been awarded a CBE for services to the music industry in the New Year’s Honours List.
Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Mr Joseph, 47, is a former pupil of the Jewish Free School (JFS) and lives in Hampstead.
He started his career at RCA where he was head of artist development, working with artists including Take That, Kylie Minogue and Annie Lennox.
Mr Joseph then joined Universal Music UK in August 1998 as general manager of the company’s Polydor label before moving up in February 2002 to become managing director and later co-president of Polydor.
In March 2008, he was promoted to chairman and CEO of Universal Music UK since when he has overseen the labels Island, Polydor, Capitol, Decca and Virgin EMI, as well as the world’s most famous recording studios Abbey Road.
You may also want to watch:
In 2005, Mr Joseph became a member of the British Phonographic Industry Council (BPI) and is chairman of the Brits Committee, which oversees the Brit Awards where he has overhauled the awards ceremony, moving it to the O2 arena.
In 2013 Joseph worked with Doreen Lawrence to gather music industry support for Unity, the O2 concert marking the 20th anniversary of Stephen Lawrence’s murder.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 6 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
In September 2013 he was appointed as a member of the council of Arts Council England.
This year Joseph became the executive producer of Amy, the documentary film about the late singer Amy Winehouse, directed by Asif Kapadia.
Mr Joseph lives in Hampstead with his TV producer wife Ruth and their children.