Capello puts an end to Almunia's England dream
Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia s hopes of an England call-up have been dashed by Fabio Capello. The Pamplona-born stopper is now eligible for British citizenship after five years in the UK and under FIFA residency rules this would mean he can play for
Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia's hopes of an England call-up have been dashed by Fabio Capello.
The Pamplona-born stopper is now eligible for British citizenship after five years in the UK and under FIFA residency rules this would mean he can play for Capello's side.
But the England manager, ironically an Italian who had never lived in this country until 2008, dismissed the idea.
"Almunia, for me, is Spanish - he is Spanish and he plays for the Arsenal team," was Capello's curt answer when asked if he would consider a call-up for the 32-year-old prior to last night's international friendly against the Netherlands in Amsterdam.
You may also want to watch:
Almunia had earlier admitted he would like the opportunity to play for England, and pointed at his own country for bending the rules.
"The England players are very important. I would like to know what they think and if I will be welcome ... this is not a silly thing, I don't want to disturb anybody," he said.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 Ken Clarke's Infected Blood Inquiry words were 'offensive' – campaigners
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!
"In Spain it is different because we have had Brazilian players. Look at (Marcos) Senna - he is now Spanish. Donato was a Brazilian playing for Spain. My family think I should do it.