Capello puts an end to Almunia's England dream
Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia s hopes of an England call-up have been dashed by Fabio Capello. The Pamplona-born stopper is now eligible for British citizenship after five years in the UK and under FIFA residency rules this would mean he can play for
Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia's hopes of an England call-up have been dashed by Fabio Capello.
The Pamplona-born stopper is now eligible for British citizenship after five years in the UK and under FIFA residency rules this would mean he can play for Capello's side.
But the England manager, ironically an Italian who had never lived in this country until 2008, dismissed the idea.
"Almunia, for me, is Spanish - he is Spanish and he plays for the Arsenal team," was Capello's curt answer when asked if he would consider a call-up for the 32-year-old prior to last night's international friendly against the Netherlands in Amsterdam.
You may also want to watch:
Almunia had earlier admitted he would like the opportunity to play for England, and pointed at his own country for bending the rules.
"The England players are very important. I would like to know what they think and if I will be welcome ... this is not a silly thing, I don't want to disturb anybody," he said.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 3 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
"In Spain it is different because we have had Brazilian players. Look at (Marcos) Senna - he is now Spanish. Donato was a Brazilian playing for Spain. My family think I should do it.