Candle warning issued after New Year blaze in Kentish Town
- Credit: Archant
A candle safety warning has been issued following a blaze at a house in Kentish Town on New Years Day.
Fire crews were called to Ascham Street just after 12.30am on January 1.
Part of the ground floor was damaged in the blaze. No injuries were reported.
Fire officers said the residents heard their smoke alarm sounding after returning from seeing in the New Year.
Matt Gregory, watch manager, said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire.
You may also want to watch:
“This incident is also a timely reminder about the importance of having working smoke alarms in your property. Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire.
“As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen.”
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 6 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 7 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 8 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 9 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
- 10 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs