Search

Candle warning issued after New Year blaze in Kentish Town

PUBLISHED: 09:38 03 January 2018

Firefighters tackled a fire in Chadwell Heath. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Firefighters tackled a fire in Chadwell Heath. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Archant

A candle safety warning has been issued following a blaze at a house in Kentish Town on New Years Day.

Fire crews were called to Ascham Street just after 12.30am on January 1.

Part of the ground floor was damaged in the blaze. No injuries were reported.

Fire officers said the residents heard their smoke alarm sounding after returning from seeing in the New Year.

Matt Gregory, watch manager, said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire.

“This incident is also a timely reminder about the importance of having working smoke alarms in your property. Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire.

“As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express