Can new science solve a 12-year-old murder?

A DETECTIVE hopes that advances in science will finally solve one of Camden s most shocking murder cases

Matt Eley

A DETECTIVE hopes that advances in science will finally solve one of Camden's most shocking murder cases.

On January 4 1996 staff at a garage in Kentish Town went to check on colleague Alan Holmes after he had failed to show up to work for more than a week.

When they forced their way into his home in Camden Town they were met with the grim scene of Mr Holmes tied to the bed and fighting for his life.

Despite numerous appeals and offers of a £20,000 reward his killers have never been caught.

As the 12th anniversary of his death approaches, investigating officer Detective Inspector Anthony McKeown renewed his appeal to catch the killers.

Most Read

He said: "Forensic work on this case continues and we are hopeful that the advances in science mean that Alan's killers will be brought to justice. For us, this very much remains an open investigation and a crime that we are determined to solve."

Mr Holmes had been left for 10 days after thieves broke into his home, robbed him and tied him up.

He died at University College Hospital from blood clotting and dehydration the day after he was found

Det Insp McKeown said: "We hope that another year on our re-appeals reach those involved in this callous murder or someone who may have information that will help the enquiry.

"I hope they now feel that they can come forward and speak to police. The financial reward currently remains unclaimed.

"We are still in contact with Alan's family who are supportive and grateful for the continuing investigation and hoping those responsible will be held to account.

"I hope this time next year the person who can help us identify the offenders has come forward and we can finally give Alan's family the gift of knowing those responsible will be prosecuted."

Mr Holmes was last seen by his friends on Christmas Day 1995 when they dropped him off at his flat in Parkway after dinner.

It is believed robbers broke into the 53-year-old's home on Boxing Day and, after stealing goods, tied him face down, fully dressed, to a bed in the kitchen.

They fled the scene with cashcards and later stole £1,000 from his account.

Officers were able to gain CCTV footage of those responsible for using the cards. But the images were not enough to identify the attackers.

Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020-8785 8244.