Campaigners to stage carol singing vigil outside Downing Street for jailed Hampstead mum Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners battling to free jailed Hampstead mum Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe have called on supporters to join them in a carol singing vigil outside Downing Street.
Nazanin’s husband Richard Ratcliffe will be joined by a group of British men acquitted of weapons charges and freed on Tuesday after spending four years in an Indian prison.
The ex-servicemen known as the Chennai six were working as security guards on an anti-piracy ship when they were detained in 2013. They are due to share messages of hope with Free Nazanin campaigners yards away from Number 10.
Nazanin, 38, of Fortune Green Road, was seized at Tehran airport in April last year along with her daughter Gabriella as they tried to return to the UK from a family holiday.
In August 2016 the charity worker was sentenced to five years behind bars after a judge in a secret trial found her guilty of plotting against the Iranian regime.
You may also want to watch:
Nazanin, who has suffered insomnia, depression and panic attacks as a result of her imprisonment, now faces being dragged back to court for a second trial which could see her sentence extended.
The carol singing vigil takes place on Tuesday, December 5 from 5.30pm in Richmond Terrace opposite Downing Street.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 8 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre