Campaigners confident of victory in fight against Sainsbury’s in South End Green
- Credit: Archant
Opponents of a proposed Sainsbury’s in South End Green are confident they can defeat the supermarket giant – and they are demanding a showdown with its top bosses.
Campaigners have declined an offer to meet with Caroline Vickerstaff, the firm’s regional acquisitions manager, to discuss how a new store in South End Road could best fit into the area.
David Kitchen, acting chairman of the South End Green Association (SEGA), said residents will only sit down with a senior representative who has authority to scrap the scheme.
He said: “We have no interest in discussing Caroline Vickerstaff’s views about her shop – what we want is a meeting with someone at a level of seniority who has the power to cancel the project.”
Supporters of the campaign are tonight hosting a public meeting from 7pm at The Magdala in South Hill Park, while more than 5,000 people have signed a petition opposing the scheme.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Kitchen added: “It’s looking good – many of these applications are being refused across the country. We have got to get Camden to appreciate the strength of feeling of residents – this is just not an appropriate place to have it.”
The campaign has already won the support of well-known residents including broadcaster Bill Oddie, actress Dame Janet Suzman, novelist Deborah Moggach and journalist Amanda Platell.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 4 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music event for 'healthy hedonists'
- 5 Driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police - Porsche seized
- 6 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 7 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 8 Planning application nears for Murphy's Yard redevelopment
- 9 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 10 Mikel Arteta must trust Gabriel Martinelli against Villarreal