Campaigners against changes to Swiss Cottage Post Office stage meeting
- Credit: Archant
Protesters are staging a meeting as part of their campaign opposing plans to move Swiss Cottage Post Office.
Labour prospective parliamentary candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn, Cllr Tulip Siddiq, and Highgate Cllr Sally Gimson, will speak out against the plans at the meeting on Thursday, from 6.30pm-8.30pm, in Venue O2 at the O2 Centre in Finchley Road, along with representatives from the Communication Workers Union (CWU) and the Post Office.
CWU area representative Gary Watt said: “We’re holding the meeting to bring the issue to people’s attention and to show the government our opposition to what they are doing.”
Post Office bosses want to close the branch in Finchley Road and replace it with a franchised outlet inside another shop. It is one of 70 crown branches nationwide – owned and run by the Post Office – earmarked for replacement.
A Post Office spokesman said: “Once we believe we have found a suitable retail partner then customers’ views will be sought in a six-week public consultation.
You may also want to watch:
“If no suitable partners are found, then the crown branch will remain.”
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate